Saturday, 25 August 2012

4/8: Severija Incirauskaite-Kriauneviciene

From 'Way of roses'

Everyone who is up to date with contemporary embroidery must know the work of Severija Incirauskaite-Kriauneviciene (I think I first saw her work in the book 'Indie Craft' by Jo Waterhouse but she also appears in Jamie Chalmer's 'Push Stitchery' - both books are bangers. If you haven't read them I'd advise you to buy them IMMEDIATELY) Incirauskaite-Kriauneviciene uses drills to punch holes into everyday objects to embellish them with embroidery.  She uses contrasts of masculinity and femininity in the object and process by using man made materials with motifs depicting nature, drilling with sewing. In 'Way of Roses' she uses traditional motifs of flowers to embellish the car door, much like how I subvert traditional style patterns with banter/Slayer. I find that she also is playing on this idea that you can add worth to an otherwise ugly or uninteresting object through the use of embroidery. The cross stitch in this piece adds an element of magic to an object that would otherwise go unnoticed. This piece also inspired me to make my work outside and play with new surfaces alien to cross stitch. Her work reminds me of tagging and the ‘craffititi’ movement where craft is taken to the streets to brighten up the harsh concrete landscape with non-offensive methods. This piece is astonishing in technical ability and can demonstrates how taking cross stitch out of the comfort of fabric can change its appearance completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment