Monday, 15 October 2012

Inspiration - Happy Wool Week!

Did you know it is national wool week this week? (15th-21st October) and apparently 'statement knitwear' is in this autumn/winter? No? Neither did I until I stumbled across an article in the Metro. Now there is some fuck ugly knitwear out there (and not even in an ironic sense) but here are a few delights I've found to share with you all.

Julien David's 'Knife' 100% wool cardigan (via Browns) Muted colours + stupid design = very desirable to me. Shame about the 545 gold nugget price tag.

Fred Perry (via ASOS) Intarsia jumper. I yearn for this jumper. Everyday. One of my less garish/ridiculous picks. I don't mean to alarm anyone but it also comes in a cardigan.


 
H! By Henry Holland (via Debenhams) Everyone likes cats, geeks and jumpers right?

Sheep Thrills by Henrietta Jerram (a Kingston university womens knitwear student) especially for National Wool Week (via Topshop) PUNS RULE ALL. There's a nice little interview with Henrietta about knitting over on Topshop's blog here.

Cooperative 'T-Rex' (via Urban Outfitters) sweater with a fetching fair isle/dinosaur pixel design.

I usually wouldn't condone anything with Prince Charles as the poster girl but raising awareness for the wool industry (especially those who work in small, family run businesses) is a good cause. I grew up with my mum knitting me clothes and knowing that for the majority of my childhood she contributed to the livelihood of a wool farmer, the factory that produced the wool and the small wool store in town makes me proud. I guess back then (we lived in the back end of nowhere) cheap places for clothes like supermarkets or Primark didn't exist so my mum made me and my brother clothes out of necessity but also because she enjoyed it.

Not enough people knit clothes these days so it is refreshing to see the fashion industry trying to use reclaim this by using British wool farmers and textile manufactures. By doing this, wool and knitted garments have once regained popularity and the stigma of wool being 'old fashioned' has been shedded. Perhaps people will be more inclined to make something themselves, or buy some Campaign For Wool woollen goods knowing that they have contributed to our economy. Consumers are wanting to know exactly where their products came from (most noticeably in the rise of organic/free range food) and I'm glad people are becoming more educated about the reality of how things are produced.

For more information on national wool week visit www.campaignforwool.org

No comments:

Post a Comment